1. HALLS OF RESIDENCE (!!
not open to students staying LESS than one semester)
• Very cheap rent
• Located on campus, close to all facilities
• Easy contacts with Belgian and foreign students
• Limited number of rooms available for exchange students (first
come, first served)
• Strict regulations: tenants are not allowed to have guests overnight
or to give their keys to outsiders. They can receive phone calls until
• Limited facilities (no refrigerator or kitchen utensils)
• Rental lease with non-negotiable dates. For students staying a
whole academic year, rental lease approximately from mid-September to
mid-July (dates may vary with the beginning and end of the academic year).
For students staying one semester, rental lease from mid-September to
end of January and from end of January to mid-July (dates may vary with
the beginning and end of semesters). THESE
DATES CANNOT BE CHANGED! Students will be expected to
pay the rent until the date indicated on the rental lease
even if they leave before the end of the semester
or academic year.
2. PRIVATE RENTED ACCOMMODATION
- Complete freedom
- Quieter than the halls of residence
- Rental lease allowing more flexibility than in the halls of residence
- No possibility to visit the accommodation before arrival, risk of disappointment.
- If you confirm the reservation to the landlord, bear in mind that it
is a commitment.
- More expensive than the halls of residence
- Accommodation is not necessarily very close to campus but remains within
easy reach by public transport
- Furnished rooms or flats with facilities (kitchen, bathroom and/or living
room) private or shared with other students or the landlord.
250 to 500€/month (all-inclusive) according to the type of housing.
A rental deposit of one or two months rent will be required by the landlord.
- This formula enables students to seek accommodation by themselves upon
arrival in Brussels. This avoids the risk of a disappointment when the
accommodation is found by ULB (as you cannot visit the place beforehand).
There are quite many flats and rooms for rent around the university.
- Possibility to extend your stay (to be negotiated once in Brussels).